About Us » Our School History

Our School History

 
Sacred Heart School is a member institution of the Office of Catholic Schools of the Diocese of Corpus Christi and is a principle part of the education ministry of Sacred Heart Parish, Rockport, Texas. It is a not-for-profit PreK-5 school, serving students ages 3 years through the fifth grade.

Sacred Heart School was founded in 1923 in a small one-room building where classes were taught by the Incarnate Word and Blessed Sacrament Sisters of Corpus Christi. Although closed for a time during the 60's and 70's, in 1981 the school was reopened and enlarged under the direction of Reverend Gregory 'Rory' Deane. The present facility was extensively remodeled and expanded in 1996-97 under Monsignor Louis Kihneman III. Under the current direction of Fr. Ray Yrlas, Sacred Heart Church and Parish, the Knights of Columbus Council 8028 and the Columbian Ladies, and the Gregory Ladies & Gentlemen, have all played instrumental roles in the re-establishment and continued growth of this progressive Catholic institution.

The 1993-94 academic year marked the inauguration of the School’s highly acclaimed Primary Montessori instruction program for 3, 4, and 5 year olds. A fully-accredited elementary classroom setting and curriculum continues to challenge students in grades one through five.

SHS began the 2017-2018 school year with 146 students. After suffering the effects of Category IV Hurricane Harvey on August 25, 2017, the school was in such a poor state that the main building and the cafeteria building were closed. Students enrolled in other Catholic and public schools across the state. Modular buildings were ordered, and the school re-opened on Thursday, January 4, 2018, using the Msgr. Kihneman Activity Center as the main building housing the school office, cafeteria, and gym to finish the second semester of 2017-2018. With the beginning of the school year 2018-2019, the school resumed service to its families with the addition of an art room, office, library, and computer lab.